classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Error while removing one receiver resulted in removal of ALL receivers

Vladimirs
Hi,

Currently, I am using log4view for analysing many different logs so I need keep all my progress to have an opportunity to compare some parts of already processed logs to new logs and bookmarking/commenting mechanism really helps with that.. BUT problem is that bookmarks and comments are not persisted which is not a huge issue if I can leave my laptop on for week or two, however sometimes I MUST restart laptop which means I have to lose all my progress.

Also I there is a bug when I want to remove one receiver that I don't need any-more and I am getting that error:

Error while reading config file

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

And after I am clicking OK it removing EVERY receiver with ALL my precious comments and bookmarks so I don't even have an opportunity to go through some of them and record somewhere else in order to add them back again after reopening configuration.

So can you please:

1) make receiver removal procedure safer
2) add functionality to persist bookmarks and comments within configuration

Thanks,
V
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Error while removing one receiver resulted in removal of ALL receivers

Philipp Lauchner
Administrator
Dear Vladimirs,

Regarding 1)
We are very sorry for your data loss, we will investigate this. To recreate your poblem we need further information about the occured exception. In your C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Log4View directory is Log4View's own log file named Log4View.xlog. Could you find the matching log entry (message is "Exception in ApplyConfiguration") and send it to us? You may also send us the whole log file and the date/time the exception occured.

Regarding 2)
This feature is already on our ToDo list. See http://forum.log4view.com/Feature-Request-Save-Current-Session-td124.html

Thank you for your feedback

Philipp Lauchner
PROSA GmbH
Development & Support
Reply | Threaded
|

Vladimirs
Hi Philipp,

I just reviewed my Log4View.xlog file and it doesn't contain any Error or above level messages, only Warn messages like "Could not add log level XXXXX with value YYYYY, because name or value already exists". In fact, first log message from 2015-04-24 13:21:21, but I encountered that error around 12:30.

Does Log4View.xlog file gets cleared? Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and will get back with fresh logs when it occurs next time.

Thanks,
V
Reply | Threaded
|

Vladimirs
In reply to this post by Philipp Lauchner
Dear Philipp,

I got that error again. Please see error details:

<message>Exception in ApplyConfiguration</message><exception>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Prosa.Log4View.Filter.FilterCtrl.<>c__DisplayClass3.<RemoveReceiver>b__2(IMessageFilter filter)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Prosa.Log4View.Filter.FilterCtrl.RemoveReceiver(String receiverName)
   at Prosa.Log4View.App.Log4ViewController.ApplyConfiguration()</exception>

Regards
V
Reply | Threaded
|

Philipp Lauchner
Administrator
Dear Vladimirs,

We just released a new beta version 12.5.10 with some checks added, which should solve your problem. You find the new version at http://www.log4view.com/download/beta-releases/

Yours sincerely

Philipp Lauchner
PROSA GmbH
Development & Support