how many messages do you have in your message view when the chart does not refresh? Due to performance reasons, complex chart representations (value and state series) will not be updated if there are more than 1000 messages to be processed.
I have less than 1000 message for the logger shown in the Chart
But it seems like the defect is a little more complex than I first thought here is how I believed it can be reproduced (but in my current set up it take quite a while to do this so I did only try once)
1. Initial the chart update ok
2. Then I use “set log level” to hide the log message used on the chart, and the chart stop updating for that logger message
Not really how I would like it to behave, but I guess that maybe be on purpose though I doubt it
3. Then I use “set log level” to show the log message again in an attempt to get the chart restart updating but it don’t
4. Then I use “Add logger to chart” > type “Value Chart” to restart updating the chart
This sometimes works
However if there is a high number of other log entries coming in I have to “pause” the message list to hit the right message
5. If the message was pause the chart also stop updating
Add the end of this test I had tree value charts for the same logger, the logger had 55 messages, none of the chart was updating
Note: Usual after some time I have a lot more entries on the chart one for each restart since there don’t seems to be any way to remove a chart entry except restarting log4view
I tried to recreate your problem doing the following:
1) receive 50 messages in a new configuration
2) add a message with a specific logger to the chart using value chart type
3) set the logger's loglevel to off using the logger tree
4) send a few messages
for me the chart still refreshes it's data. Did i get your steps wrong?
To delete a chart serie, just click on its graph or name in the legend and hit the "Del" key on your keyboard.
unfortunately, Log4View's own logging will not be sufficient to recreate your problem. Maybe we can recreate it when using the exact log files as you do.
Would you agree to send us the logfile you are working with? We respect your privacy and the files will only be used for debugging and deleted afterwards. If you are ok with that, please send us your logfile before changing the loglevel and the logfile containing the messages you receive afterwards. Also please send us the exact configuration of the chart (which message to add, which logger selected etc.) and the logger to hide.
Our mail address is email@example.com